In many countries, teaching a foreign language to primary school students is essential. Do you think the advantages of teaching a foreign language to young learners outweigh the disadvantages?
Points to Remember
Teaching a Foreign Language in Primary School
|Improves communication skills
|It can be a burden to students as they hardly use it
|More flexible and creative thinking
|It may lead to confusion between native and foreign language
|It is the best age to grasp new language
|It may delay language development
|Pronunciation would be better
|Lack of well-structured curriculum
|They are more likely to become fluent
|It can be ineffective
|Develop language anxiety
|Strengthens memory skills
|Cultivates respect for other cultures
|Attainment of a native-like accent
|Children are more receptive learners than adults
|Building confidence and understanding
- In several nations, it is compulsory to learn a foreign language in elementary school. I think that exposure to a new language at an early age would be more beneficial to children rather than drawbacks.
- Although it is mandatory to have foreign language education in primary schools, I think that it would have more adverse impacts on students as compared to the merits.
Suggested Body Paragraphs
- To begin with, one of the advantages / disadvantages of including a foreign language in the primary curriculum is that…
To explain, …
For example, …
- Moreover, another benefit / difficulty resulting from obligatory learning of second language is that…
To elaborate, …
For instance, …
- On the contrary / However, teaching another language in primary level has certain problems/ benefits as it …
To expand, …
A case in point is that, …
You can either write two advantages and one disadvantage or two disadvantages and one advantage. Points are listed in the above table.
Suggested Outweigh Paragraph
- Considering the pros and cons of learning foreign language in primary classes, the negative outcomes are more as compared to the positive effects as it makes (write two disadvantages which you have written) students confused and pressurized on studies.
- In my opinion, ‘studying foreign language in primary schools’ has more advantages as compared to its negative impacts. Moreover, the ‘disadvantage’ caused by compulsory education can be solved by using proper methods whereas benefits such as ‘advantage 1’ and ‘advantage 2’ are really worthwhile.
- In my opinion, ‘studying foreign language in primary schools’ has more disadvantages as compared to its positive impacts. Moreover, the demerits like ‘disadvantage 1’ and ‘disadvantage 2’ caused by compulsory education cannot be solved by using proper methods whereas advantage 1’ has minimal effects.
- To conclude, teaching foreign language to primary students has more advantages than disadvantages.
- To conclude, teaching foreign language to primary students has more disadvantages than advantages.